A few years ago I bought a used 2011 Elite Pulse from the Archery Talk Classifieds. It was a bare bow purchase and I was in need of several accessories, one of which was a stabilizer. Being on a budget, I kept an eye on the classifieds, waiting for something to come up for sale that wouldn’t break the bank.
I stumbled onto a Stokerized Stabilizer with a black acrylic rod, camo end caps, and a vibration dampener on the end. I think it cost something like $50 and, since it matched my bow, I snatched it up. I shot with that stabilizer for quite a while before I got around to replacing it. It has been sitting in my basement ever since.
“I need a stabilizer”
“Do you even know what a stabilizer is?”
“Yeah, it’s that thing that makes your bow stand up when you put it on the ground”
“No, that is a kickstand. This is a stabilizer”
“Oh, I need one of those too. Can you put it on my bow?”
“I can but it is camo and doesn’t match your pink bow”
“Yeah, I wish it was pink…”
The following day, I stopped at Walmart looking for pink spray paint. They had two choices, neither one being what I was looking for. The first was a Krylon Max ‘Watermelon” which was a gloss but more red than pink. The second was Krylon Fluorescent Pink, which was satin and not quite bright enough.
I picked up the Florescent Pink and some Gloss clearcoat hoping that it would be close enough to match the other pinks on her bow.
I should have picked up some white paint to use as a primer, however, I didn’t want to buy a third can for such a small project. I removed the dampener, taped off the acrylic rod and threads, and began applying light coats of pink.
After three coats I was kicking myself for not buying the white to act as a base. The pink was a couple shades too dark and the camo pattern on the end caps was bleeding through. While the pink camo effect was cool, it wasn’t what I was trying for.
I added a fourth light coat of spray paint then let it dry for about six hours. I was expecting to have to do a little sanding to smooth out the paint but it looked pretty good. I sprayed on a wet coat of clear and let it dry overnight.
As you can see, it isn’t an exact match but I’m happy with the way it turned out. If I had to do it all over again, I’d probably hit the end caps with some sand paper to smooth them out prior to painting. I’d also add a white base coat before applying the pink – it hopes that it would brighten up the final color.
While the stabilizer itself is pretty light, it does add some mass weight to the bow. Watcher her shoot, I could see her start to fatigue from the added weight but she wasn’t interested in taking it off. Given a little time, I’m sure she’ll adjust to her new pink stabilizer.
When most people think about Motorcycle Group Rides, I believe it conjures up images of large packs of Harley Davidson Motorcycles riding for a cause. While there is no shortage of these types of...
On June 18, 2023, I went for a Father's Day Motorcycle Ride to Lancaster, PA, to see a historic covered bridge. I was stopped at a traffic light at the intersection of PA Rt 422 East and PA Rt 82...